Friday, April 16, 2010

On the Scone Fence

So, I'm pretty sure the scones I made this morning are better than the scones I delivered to my prospective coffee shop client a while back. This would explain why I haven't heard back from them. I've sent the owner two emails following up and still no word. But we all know that a follow-up email is like no follow up at all. If I really wanted this to happen, I would have stopped by the day after I dropped them off and then stared at him in silence until he succumbed. I didn't do this and the "info@" email account to which I wrote isn't the most sure-fire way to contact someone. I'm not giving up yet. Actually I was intentionally stalling while I tried to figure out how to get my kitchen up to spec. And while I was scanning the incomprehensible PA Department of Health website, a successful baker/sconer suggested that I look into renting a kitchen that is already certified. Brilliant! She went on to say that she wakes up at 2 in the morning or 2 at night rather to bake all 400 scones by 6am for her wholesale clients. I should should have listened to her when she said "You don't want to know." This little tidbit will weed out the faint at heart, including mine. I'm not at that point yet, I realize. But, 2am. So, while no one follows up with me, I'm taking a personal inventory and imagining some grim figure waving his fist in my face asking, "Do you really want to do this or not?!"

I got a little closer to answering YES! to this question when the Blackberry Scones came out of the oven this morning. They were fluffy by all standards and the definite definition of delicious. Another conquest from Everyday Food. May edition.

Here is a picture and here is the recipe:



1 cup raspberries or blackberries
2 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt

1 stick of cold unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup buttermilk.

In a food processor blend the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter in bits and pieces until is it looks crumble with pea size pieces of the mixture throughout.

Combine the egg yolk and buttermilk in a bowl. Slowly add this liquid until dough sticks together. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Flatten a bit until it is roughly 1 inch thick. Cut or pull out 2x2 inch squares, again roughly, and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake for 15-18 minutes in a 400 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment