Monday, January 22, 2018

Reframing Lentils in 2018

Recently I realized that it wasn't lentil soup I was weary of, but of the label "lentil soup". It had taken on a stigma in my mind. Tired. Winter. Dreary. Hopeless. But I've reframed and reinvented the soup that we all enjoy filled with wonderful nutrients and flavor.  "What are we having for dinner?" Don't you dare ask me that question.  Hmmmm, why do i hate that question.  But now I say vegetable soup.  Now I say soup, winter soup, hearty soup.  With a baguette, ideally.  Lately I've been substituting the onion for a leek to begin. Always tomato paste.  Less cumin. Farro went in the other day and it thickened up to be more of a dahl to serve over rice. Yes there are lentils added for old times' sake.  Last week I added a big pinch of saffron that I had been saving for no reason in particular. Afterward I realized that mushrooms was the thing it lacked.  Next time.


Snow day.


Once we went sledding. 

    
Birthday Burritos.

No comments:

Post a Comment