Thursday, April 1, 2010

A New Leaf of Basil

While I do abide by the principle of "the truth shall set you free", upon sober reflection, it would have been best if I had left out the bit about the beefaroni in my last post. Not that this blog's aim is to make me look like a gourmet chef, which clearly I am not, but I still have my pride to contend with and moments like those are best left unmentioned. No harm done, I know, I know. But lesson learned and let's move on.

And to turkey tacos we go; slowly chipping away from the mass amount of meat I bought this week. They were a triumph. And the secret ingredient: basil. The pound or so meat was seasoned with 4 teaspoons of chili powder, one teaspoon of salt, half teaspoons each of paprika, cumin, dry mustard, sugar. First, brown the meat, drain the meat and return in to the stovetop. Add a cup of water and those spices. Simmer for 20 minutes or so. Then get all your toppings together. We chose tomatoes, chopped spinach, onions, cheese, salsa and sour cream. And basil. Don't forget the basil.

Large flour tortillas were all we had on hand, and I could barely make it through one.

Off to New Gretna today. I'm hoping my grandmother will allow me to make strawberry shortcake for Easter!

P.S. No word from the bakery. Must follow up with vigor next week.

1 comment:

  1. mel,
    i've read your recent blog posts and find them thoughtful and unique... this evening, however, was the first time i said "i must have this." i guess i have yet to be inspired to eat a scone ;). I wanted to let you know that you've inspired me to make turkey tacos for final four night. hope you are well.
    justin p.

    ReplyDelete