Monday, March 4, 2013

thanks awfully


It was one of those days to be buoyed by chocolate and good tea, don't you agree?

 Last night my friend Ms. McGrath came for dinner.  She's this lovely gem of a person.  She has lived in Boston for all but ten of her 90 years.  Whenever we are in the car she always points out the horrid new construction projects crowding her beautiful city.  Once upon a time, she had this very glamorous chapter of life and I get little tidbits of it every now and again.  When on the topic of the Royals, she says things like, "The only one I've met is the Duke of Windsor."  You don't say?   She met him down in the Bahamas, where he was governor, after he abdicated the thrown and married his darling Wallis.  If you were wondering, he was "perfectly handsome" and a wonderful gentleman.  "Thanks awfully," she said he said, which I think it one of the sweetest things I've heard in a while.



Our menu: mixed green salad with white wine vinaigrette, french flageolet beans with fennel and rosemary (Garten, pg. 192), white chocolate pudding with blackberry curd (Perelman pg. 272).  If I could do it again, I would choose something else for the main course.  I need to remember that not everyone shares my love of beans.  I added meatballs at the last minute and it kind of saved the dish.  I really wanted to make this butternut squash galette, but it was too much of a gamble considering I had never made it before and don't even really know what it is.  A savory tart of sorts made with two plus sticks of butter.  But, the white chocolate pudding was a hit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment