Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Cold Feet


To give credit where credit is due -the iced cafe mocha in hand was a large contributor to the delightfulness of our morning.  It didn't start off that way.  Inside, Verity was ready to be moving or sleeping, and Naomi was stepping on puzzle pieces instead of picking them up, and then stepping on puzzle pieces as I picked them up.  But we walked outside and hit the reset button.  The sky was clear and blue as can be.  I need to go back to being the person who does not check the weather.  Yesterday evening it called for cool temperatures and cloudy skies and I woke up this morning ready to be bummed about it.  Tomorrow I'm going to throw caution to the wind and see what the day will bring by looking out the window.

In the meantime I'll be dwelling.  I just got back from Naomi's preschool's Welcome Night.  I guess they wanted to welcome us early style.  It starts in the Fall.  The ice-breaker:  "When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up?"  Ugh.  And then, "If you could have any job today, what would it be?"  Ugh again.  This is when I take a bathroom break.  One person's answer:  "When I was a child I wanted to be a photographer.  Now I am a photographer.  If I had my dream job, I would be a photographer."  Ugh.  There is nothing wrong with that, absolutely not.  It was just that, on top of seeing Naomi's name on a roster, sitting in those little chairs, and completely panicking.  How do I withdraw her immediately?  That security deposit can be a gift!  It was one of those moments when I am living my life and simultaneously being an outside observer of my own life.  We shall see.

2 comments: