Sunday, March 16, 2014

Cinnamon Swirl Recovery

Lately I've been checking out back issues of Cook's Illustrated.  If you turn to page 29 in March-April 2012 you can find out which canned whole tomatoes to buy and which to avoid.  Hunt's Whole Peeled, they recommend.  San Marzano, they recommend with reservation.  These are grown domestically with seeds from Italy.  (You still can't beat their packaging.) 

Today I tackled The Best Cinnamon Swirl Bread from the same issue.  Rewind to Friday morning when our bus outing takes everything out of me.  I didn't think twice because they always do, but I took my temperature and it was a smidge high.  Finally a documented reason to feel crummy and call in!  Eric came home early and the weekend commenced.  With no children to chase I took my shuffling to the kitchen and made some chicken soup.  This feat thanks to Tamar Adler's, An Everlasting Meal, explaining how simply this can happen.  By Saturday morning the fun of being sick had worn off.  Naomi spearheaded the birthday festivities for her dad and Verity thundered around the house.  I stayed in bed and watched Sense and Sensibility.

And here we are on a beautifully sunny Sunday.  It's Naomi's turn to feel a little crummy, sadly.  My big cinnamon bread moment had arrived.  You can't win if you don't play.  Am I right?  

I followed the recipe step by step -down to the 32 pieces of butter tossed in flour.

To folding the dough in thirds like a business letter only to roll it out again.

Six hours later..

I don't know if it was the best ever, but it was the best I'd ever made.    

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Perfect Sunday project. I hope there's still some left of toast in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete