Monday, May 5, 2014

The Meal Plan | 05.05.14 | Eat Local-er

Monday:  Black Bean Salad over Quinoa.  A Trader Joe's recipe.  Satisfying and pretty.  
Tuesday:  Pizza.  Recipe from Homemade Winter.    
Wednesday:  The Weekly Lentil
Thursday:  Crepes filled with roasted vegetables. 
Friday:  Vegetarian Tikka Masala.  My sister turned this into a vegetarian dish with cauliflower and chickpeas and it was delicious.

I thought of my grandfather today while I sliced corn off the cob.  In May.  He once watched me score an avocado and feed it to Verity in little cubes.  He seemed a little impressed and a little appalled.  Growing up in west Texas they didn't have avocados.  West Texas is a whole lot closer to avocado trees than where I live.  He went on to tell me that when corn was harvested, they ate corn every day.  Of course they preserved what they could and when that ran out, they cooked with cornmeal and when that ran out, they ate something else, I'm not sure what.
So last week when I bought corn on sale at Whole Foods I was glad he wasn't there to see me do it.  It didn't sit well with me.  They are harvesting corn somewhere very far away from where I sit.  I'm going to wait till August to buy it again.

  



No comments:

Post a Comment