Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Gratitude as a Found Object

Yesterday I woke up with a feeling of gratitude.  
It was acute, encompassing and even startling. For a minute, maybe more. 
It was if I had stumbled across an object given up as lost but then found right at the foot of my bed where I had looked a hundred times before. 

I gave it some more thought as the day progressed and came up with some very unromantic reasons for why this thankfulness might have shown itself.  Like for one I had prepared lunches waiting in the refrigerator to be placed into bags before walking out the door. Snooze. My children had outfits laid out all ready for the new day. Boring. Did these very practical steps of preparation lead to a brief moment of bliss?

I woke up this morning hoping to be greeted by the same wee slice of euphoria, lunches were again packed and outfits laid out almost superstitiously and of course it wasn't there. 
It eluded me, but I held close to the hope of yesterday's discovery. 
Like a pebble in my pocket. 
And remembered to be thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment