Tuesday, December 11, 2018

may i speak to the school counselor please -from the draft vault circa 2017

For I reasons I can explain, I don't give that much color to the persons of Naomi and Verity here.  I broad brush scenarios and scenes and surround it all with a bit of humor.  But If I think about it -I don't really go there with many people in any forum be it a friendship, or a letter or even a teacher.  I like to let them speak for themselves.  But sometimes I fear that I sell them short.  And I know that it's going to be hard -hopefully not that hard to be the advocate that I know I will need to be for them.  No one can stand up for you, can speak up for you like your mom can.  Some people do this really well -advocacy, touching on the dynamic personalities of the children are blessed with.  I also really shy away from putting a label on my children.  I don't want Naomi growing up to believe that Verity is the funny one.  Says who?  I don't want to try too hard to decipher if I have an extrovert or an introvert emerging.

I was telling a friend that in my brief experience it seems that second-borns have a much easier time being themselves.  It's like the pressures off for them and they can go about their days exploring their likes and dislikes with ease.  The first-borns are paving the way -dipping their toe in to see if we freak out or not.  Second-borns seem to jump right in.  Or at least mine does.  Labels are easy and safe, but they worry me.

No comments:

Post a Comment